I always said I don’t want to look back and regret not trying harder. So I’ll try harder, starting today.
It’s Thursday night and I’m back in Singapore.
Shanghai’s daily dose of shopping, sightseeing and great food has been a much needed escape from the mundane life back home that has produced a 40-year-old-unemployed-bum effect on me.
I’m going to try hard not to slip back into that mode…there’s still much to do.
I’m wondering how things will be different this semester. Incoming freshies, a suicidal combination of modules, travelling to and fro home and school, application and anticipation for INSTEP…but before I get into thinking too much about the coming year, I think the past academic year deserves a review.
The downs of Year 1
1. A less than satisfactory GPA
2. ‘hall syndrome’: feeling stranded and stuck in those four walls.
3. Certain insecurities/doubts that have yet to be cleared
The ups of Year 1
1. Meeting Kamikaze: I’m going to be honest here, the prospects of friendship were uncertain for me initially. On the inside, I can be someone who’s cynical and pretty damn adverse to change sometimes…but you showed me that once again, my doubts were unfounded. You guys are awesome. You’re what I go to school for. You’re the reason I joined FOC: to be able to watch and be a part of that nurturing and gradual cementing of friendships, of traditions, that’s one of the best feelings ever.
2. Meeting Sladar: You gave me unforgettable, un-tradable memories. Late night suppers, drinking parties, birthday tekkans, HTHTs, impromptu room visiting and sing-a-longs…you’re the reason behind skipped morning lectures and severe lack of sleep. You’re the essence of campus life.
3. Becoming more involved in school: joining FOC(s), Paparazzi, Publications, Deli Aprecio Club…taking on roles I was uncertain I could handle has helped and is still helping me to grow as a person. Joining DAC also led me to meet another fun bunch of people NTU.
Nostalgic songs of Year 1
Kids, Just a Dream, Stereo Love, This Ain’t a Love Song, We’ll Be Alright, MGMT/Kid Cudi/Lupe Fiasco songs.
I’m still searching for clarity in terms of what I want to dedicate my life to doing. I really hope I get more clues in Year 2…don’t want a repeat of those feelings of aimless floundering.
I’m in China bitchezzz! Haha. Facebook’s banned in Shanghai too so I’m going to be pretty much fb free for a whole week. I both dread and anticipate the notifications when I get back.
Anyway, it seems the freshie namelist has come out, though the sign-ups and OGs are far from being formed. Still, so exciting! My heart literally starts beating faster when I think about all the new people. I HOPE YOU WILL ALL LOVE VOLLARO, AND WEE KIM WEE, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY VOLLARO <3
Food intake today alone has increased g-astronomically, and it’s so hard to control being on holiday and all. But no, I MUST be in shape by FOC, I will! Those damn singlets are really unforgiving.
p.s Youtube, sidereel, twitter, blogspot blogs, etc are all banned here too. Except dear Tumblr. You’re too cool, Tumblr, too cool.